Mariner’s House, 2013
Renovation and rehabilitation of a historic building in exhibition rooms
350 Place Royale, Montreal, Quebec
The project involves the construction of a museum and tourist complex by reconfiguring the Mariner’s House into multifunction interior spaces. Rebuilt in 1953, Mariner’s House was formerly a gathering place for sailors sojourning in Montreal. Acquired by Pointe-à-Callière in 2004, it now features workshops and educational exhibits.

Archeological searches were undertaken during the construction phase and new pathways were created to connect to the two entities of the museum through an underground network below Place Royale. The architectural scheme was hence based on archeology as a substance orienting certain decisions regarding the museum tour, the enhancement of artefacts and spatial organisation. A two-storey curtain wall was introduced in the main façade, opening the double-height entry hall to the street, facing the original Pointe-à-Callière Museum, creating a direct link between the two projects.
3000 m2
Pointe-à-Callière Museum
Project in collaboration with Provencher Roy + associates architects